Did You See the Signs at the Tri?
The Tri for a Cure is behind us but Maine Cancer Foundation is charging full-speed ahead. We're on the road to 2020 - when we hope Maine will be 20% less burdened by cancer rates. To support our efforts we added something new along the run course this year: interactive signs with bite-sized cancer statistics to motivate participants and spectators throughout the race.
The project was designed by our Prevention and Early Detection Workgroup to spread knowledge and empower the public to commit to a healthy lifestyle and regular screenings.
But did you really notice them?
We've got you covered.
1. Did You Know? Maine cancer rates are significantly higher than US rates.
2. People You Know: 126,000 Mainers are living with cancer right now.
3. You Are Not Alone: 1 in 3 Mainers will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime.
4. Fit Helps the Fight: 1/3 of cancer cases could be prevented through healthy eating, exercise, and weight control.
5. Are You Wearing Sunscreen? 1 in 5 Americans will develop skin cancer.
6. Did You Know? Tobacco can cause 14 different types of cancer.
7. Great Job! Maine has one of the highest breast cancer screening rates in the nation.
8. Screening = Survivors. There are effective screenings for 5 different types of cancers.
9. Act Your Age: 60% of colorectal cancer could be prevented. Get screened if you are age 50+.
10. You're Covered: Most cancer screening is covered by insurance with no co-pay!
11. Thank You! Your support is helping the fight against cancer in Maine.
"Knowledge is power. Knowledge shared is power multiplied."- Robert Boyce
Spread the word to your friends, families, and neighbors. Together We Can Challenge Cancer 2020.
If you have an idea for a project, consider joining one of Maine Cancer Foundation's four Workgroups: Prevention & Early Detection, Treatment, Rehabilitation & Survivorship, or End-of-Life & Palliative Care.