Tri for a Cure Update
Our Virtual event, which was born out of necessity, has evolved into something so much bigger! We now know the significance of what we are doing together doesn’t diminish when done from afar. Over the last four years, we've reshaped the virtual event and have learned so much about how it can benefit our participants. Holding a virtual event allows women to be a part of this incredible community while still honoring their comfort level and person commitments.
We've always known how important Tri for a Cure is to our participants. Since offering the live and virtual events side-by-side, one of the most powerful things we observed was the number of virtual participants who showed up on race weekend to volunteer and support their fellow racers. If you can make it race weekend we would love to see you there!
In 2024, alongside our signature event, we will once again offer a virtual option starting on July 14, 2024 and ending July 31, 2024.
With gratitude and hope,
The Tri for a Cure/Maine Cancer Foundation Team
You betcha! We are once again offering a virtual Tri for a Cure in conjunction with the in-person event on July 14th. We learned a lot from the 2022 and 2023 Hybrid TFAC and feel we can optimize the experience for those who wish to continue to participate virtually - for whatever reason!
This year the virtual event will be held from July 14 to July 31. We will kick off the virtual event on race weekend and keep the party going until the end of July!
We invite our virtual participants to join us at the TFAC Expo on Saturday, July 13th to pick up your packets, shirts, medals, and incentives. If you are not able to join us at Expo you can arrange to pick up those items at the MCF office starting July 18th. No items will be mailed out in advance of race weekend.
- All participants, whether virtual or in-person, are required to meet the $500 fundraising minimum.
- To guarantee inclusion in incentive prizes you must register by April 1, 2024.
- After May 1, participants are not able to move their registration between the live and virtual events.
- If you register after May 1, 2024 you will have no dropout period and will be automatically committed to raising $500.
Like last year, we encourage everyone to complete a swim, bike, and run (or a duathlon - see below) either individually or as a relay. You can choose your venue and location (lake, ocean, pool, etc).
- Option 1: Triathlon (Swim 1/3 mile, Bike 15 miles, Run 3.1 miles) – Individual or Relay. Please be sure to adhere to safety measures, including not swimming alone and making sure to tell a family member or friend of your run/bike plans and/or keeping a phone on you.
- Swim can be in the pool, in the lake, in the ocean. You name it.
- Bike can be on the road, indoor cycling studio, on a bike trainer, or on a stationary bike.
- Run can be on local roads, on a trail, on the treadmill. Of course, it can be walked, jogged, slogged, crawled, or run to complete.
- Option 2: Duathlon (Run 1 mile, Bike 15 miles, Run 3.1 miles) - Individual or Relay
- We understand that pool training options have been reduced/eliminated lately. Here is an alternative to doing your swim: try a duathlon!
- Option 3: Get creative with any combination of the run, bike or swim elements! – Individual or Relay
- This is the year to truly do YOUR race! If you’d like to take a year off from swimming, biking, and/or running, but still support Maine Cancer Foundation, that’s ok! Create your own combination or singularly-focused version of the event.
- Complete your Tri for a Cure between July 14 and July 31. You can choose any day (or days) in this window to complete your event.
- You set your schedule. Do the swim one day. Do the bike a week later. Do the run in another week! Or do them all in one day. Do your race at your own time, your own location, your own day. If it rains, wait another day for the perfect day that fits you. No need for an early alarm!
One of the best parts of Tri for a Cure is the community of women that come together in the months leading up to the event and on race day. Many of you have already joined the Tri for a Cure 2024 Facebook group. If you have not, please do so. This will be a place to share ideas, encouragement, photos, and more.